torstai 12. joulukuuta 2019

Painting and Preparations

Greetings!

It's been over a month since the last post, I know. My studies got in the way momentarily and disturbed my hobby life, and although I was able to get in a few games here and there, I haven't had time to write battlereports of them. Fortunately that is now in the past and y'all will have lots to read on your holidays as I catch up with my battlereport output!

But first, I have something to show you. I recently got some Citadel Contrast paints in the hopes of this new technological advancement speeding up my backlog, and guess what... it actually works.

Take a look at these Highborn Spearmen / Dreadspears I finished just yesterday:


That's 30 Spearmen with two command groups to allow me splitting the unit (and because I have another 20 Spearmen already painted that have to command). I worked on this unit a couple of hours a night over a week, and some days were too busy to have me paint at all. Yet the unit still got finished a lot faster than I anticipated; trust me, I know. I just painted 40 Highborn Archers with regular paints before these ones. Ungh!

I'm very happy with how the unit turned out. The colours are bright and clean, shadows and highlights are good tabletop quality but on larger surfaces like the shield you still get some natural variation in the saturation of the colour, making it look like the shield was actually covered with a painted cloth of whatever.

The recipe was deceptively simple. Wraithbone base coat for warm colours, Celestra Grey for cold ones. Then you just splash on the colours of your choice: warm on warm and cold on cold. Add some texture to the base and boom. Unit done.


I also tried my hand at a third Bolt Thrower. The war machine itself is mostly regular paints, but the crew and the bolts are almost all Contrast (except metallics). I didn't have a large enough base for the Bolt Thrower to get all the extra flags and ammunition on it, so I decided to give the bonus goodies to the crew.

Works fine, in my opinion. I just didn't want to leave out such evocative bits from the unit. So, with this post the blog is back on track, with several battlereports, campaign finales and Warhammer Roleplay content on the way.

Make sure to pop by every now and then on your holdays. Until then!

2 kommenttia :